- Residential Services
- Commercial Services
- About Us
- Contact Us
If you have ever personally experienced a fire in your home or property, you know how devastating the effects of fire can be. Besides the loss of material items, overthinking things that you could have done to prevent the fire can lead to sleepless nights and guilt. Fire damage cleanup can take months to go through, but these five steps can help prevent a fire in the first place. Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Our cleanup teams have seen the damage done by fires in southern Utah. Knowing the tried-and-true steps to prevention can help eliminate the devastation that comes along with fire damage. The following are several precautionary acts you can take to prevent a fire in your home.
Smoke detectors are often our first defense against fire damage. Make sure to install smoke detectors on every level of the house and in every bedroom. Replace batteries every six months or so.
Fire extinguishers can be used to extinguish small fires. They should be placed near every exit of the house so you can grab them as you are evacuating the house. Small kitchen extinguishers should also be kept in the kitchen where a fire is most likely to break out.
Although candles add a nice aesthetic to any home, unfortunately, they have also caused more than 23,000 house fires each year. Use alternatives to candles like flashlights for illumination or heated wax for fragrances.
Creosote buildup in chimneys, fireplaces, and wood stoves can ignite. Keep your fire sources clean to avoid fire damage.
If lighters and matches get in the wrong hands, curious little hands and minds could cause a catastrophe. Keep lighters and matches locked away to prevent disaster or even death through accidental fires.
Space heaters should be unplugged when not used, and at least turned off when families are asleep or not home. Keep the area clear of hanging fabric or clutter to avoid unwanted fires.
Gas stoves are especially susceptible to fires as dish towels and even hot pads could accidentally ignite and cause a kitchen fire.
Some lamps and light sockets have a limit on how many watts a light bulb can have. If there are more watts than recommended, it can overheat and cause a fire. Do not overload extension cords and do not connect extension cords to other extension cords. Also, keep clothing and rugs off of cords to keep them from overheating and starting a fire.
Being aware of these tips to prevent fire hazards can help save you from disaster and meeting with fire damage cleanup teams. A few simple acts today can save you from fire damage in the future. If you ever face the struggles of a fire damage cleanup, don’t hesitate to call GCPRO. Our team of professionals is ready to help 24/7.